Durable roofing and protection
The type of commercial metal roof for most commercial structures is a standing seam metal roof. Not only are they sturdy, but they have a sleek appearance, giving a business a better curb appeal. Over the past twenty years, the popularity of standing seam metal roof installation has grown. Why? Because more businesses are combining their manufacturing plant, offices, and showrooms in one building. So, the need for having a modern, sleek look is important. Still, there are legitimate questions by business owners, like Is standing seam roof worth the money?
Generally, standing seam metal roof versus asphalt shingles or corrugated metal roofing is more expensive, but the standing seam metal roof benefits are worth the difference. Those benefits are:
- Weather Resistant: In northern climates, everything needs to be weather resistant, especially roofs. Metal is the perfect material for roofing because it is extremely resistant to ice and snow. As that stuff melts, it slides off the roof instead of getting stopped and forming an ice dam. When it comes to blizzards and powerful winds, a standing seam metal roof is ideal.
- Recycled and Recycled: Standing seam metal roof is an eco-friendly material. As much as 95% of the metal of a roof comes from recycled metal and when a metal roof is replaced, the old stuff is recycled.
- Durability: Professional commercial structure roofing experts admit that standing seam metal roof is less heavy than asphalt shingles, yet provides a better level of protection against hail, ice, snow, and wind. Standing seam metal roof doesn’t crack, rot, or warp making it one of the most durable materials you can have on a commercial structure.
- Fire Resistant: Standing seam metal roofs are fire resistant as they do not ignite into flames when struck by lightning. There are also insurance benefits to having a standing seam metal roof because of being fire-resistant.
- Lots of Options: When it comes to standing seam metal roof, the options in colors, materials, shapes, and widths are wide. Even the choices of what type of metal gives you more options than any other roofing material.
- Minimal Upkeep: Standing seam metal roof doesn’t require much maintenance, saving your business manager a lot of time and you a lot of money.
- Energy Efficiency: Another benefit of standing seam metal roof, they are energy efficient and with the highly reflective paints that are applied at the factory, keeping cooling costs down by as much as 25%.
What is the difference between standing seam vs corrugated metal roofs?
Both corrugated and standing seam metal roof are common, with galvanized steel the most common material that will be coated for protection and color added. Both have a life expectancy of forty to seventy years when maintenance and repairs are done as needed.
Corrugated is sheet metal pushed along fluted rollers, creating the ridges that provide added strength. For a horse barn and riding arenas, equipment and machinery storage and other post-frame buildings, this is the better option.
Standing seam metal roof has distinctive vertical patterns, clean lines, and hidden fasteners that give it more curb appeal, a plus for any commercial structures. Standing seam metal roofs accessories include:
- Drip Edge Starter Clip.
- Hip and Ridge Caps.
- Flashing for valleys.
- Flashing for Gable Ends.
- Snow Guards.
- Solar Panel Holders.
What gauge metal roofing should I use?
Industry standard has the thinnest metal to be a 29-gauge and is used typically for residential structures because of the weight. However, for residential use where winds tend to be high and stronger, we recommend the 24 gauge.
For standing seam metal roof on commercial structure, the heavier gauge is typically the preferred choice at 24-gauge. The contractor installing the roof should consult with local building codes before installing a 24-gauge standing seam metal roof to make sure it meets load-bearing requirements, fastening and panel connection, thermal insulation values, roof pitch, flashing details, and ventilation.
Can you walk on a standing seam metal roof?
You can walk on a standing seam roofing can pretty much anywhere and not be concerned with damaging it. Most contractors that need to walk on a commercial roof, such as roofer, HVAC and plumbing contractors are trained and experienced in walking on roof tops. When scheduling a service call with any contractor that may need roof access, we always suggest it is always to advise them what type of roofing material your building has so they can plan accordingly.
What are the problems with metal roofs?
While standing seam metal roof is one of the best, if not the best, type of roofing to have for your commercial building, there are four downsides to this type of roofing:
- Corrosion – A galvanized standing seam metal roof has the risk of corroding and rusting.
- Fastener Failure – Fasteners and clips used for holding standing seam metal roof in place are a critical part of what makes them durable. If any are weak or made with poor quality, they can break and make the standing seam metal roof weak and susceptible to damage.
- Punctures and Scratches – Debris from tree limbs and other articles that may blow with the wind can dent, puncture, and scratch standing seam metal roofs.
- Paint Fades – Older standing seam metal roof paint fades more than they do today. It’s difficult to find replacement pieces that match when repairs are needed.
By far, more experts in commercial structure roofing will recommend going with a standing seam metal roof because of the durability, long lifespan, and appearance for a modern, sleek structure. Call 860-508-0021 today for your standing seam metal roof in East Hartford, CT.